Lemon Raspberry Cake
A simple and moist lemon cake with delicious raspberry cream filling.
Write a review
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons of finely grated lemon rind
- 4 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 egg whites at room temperature
- 1/2 cup fine granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup or 10 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup raspberry puree
For the Cake
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Prepare 2 (8-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray and line the bottoms of the pans with baking paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray.
- 3. Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- 4. Place sugar and oil in a large mixing bowl and beat at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Add lemon rind and lemon juice.
- 5. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans.
For Raspberry Buttercream Filling
- Add egg whites and sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water and whisk constantly until sugar has dissolved which can be checked by taking some of the mixture between your fingers and rubbed to ensure no granulated sugar can be felt. Place the bowl on the mixer stand and whisk on low speed until foamy. Increase speed to medium-high and whisk until stiff, glossy peaks form which will take about 10 minutes. Switch to your paddle attachment and reduce speed to medium-low. Add butter 1 tablespoons at a time and mix after each addition until it is all incorporated. Last add the salt, vanilla and raspberry puree.
Delicia Designs http://www.deliciadesigns.com/
For all those who love lemon cake, this is a definite must have recipe!